Working at heights is a dangerous job to begin with and adding any extra weight to your load can be cumbersome and enforce wasted energy. That’s why the Malta Dynamics Pygmy Hog 11′ Self-Retracting Lifeline with Rebar Hook is designed to be the best mini retractable on the market. Weighing in at just 4.3 pounds, the extremely lightweight Pygmy Hog is portable and can be used either in mobile or stationary applications.
The Pygmy Hog Self-Retracting Lifeline is a Web SRL that is manufactured from non-corrosive, lightweight components including a durable ultrahigh-molecular-weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) and Polyester lifeline, and a durable housing made from a high strength thermoplastic polymer.
The Pygmy Hog Self-Retracting Lifeline comes equipped with a handy 360° swivel top connector to make it easier to attach and detach from your harness and anchor. The side lifeline exit provides a smooth and seamless payout and retraction as you move about the workspace, so you never have to worry about tripping over a lanyard on the ground or getting caught on an obstacle as you work.
The Pygmy Hog 11′ Self-Retracting Lifeline features a standard hook rebar connector. What is a rebar hook and why is it a popular choice? Standard rebar hooks for fall protection are large connector hooks with wide gate openings. They are commonly called pelican hooks or scaffold hooks. Rebar connectors are gaining popularity because of their large locking gate openings and worksite versatility. Rebar hooks can easily connect to several anchors, but it is important to note that standard rebar hooks are only approved for specific configurations and to use them outside of these specified guidelines can present a safety hazard or violation.
This compact and lightweight Pygmy Hog SRL offers a quick-action braking system that will safely keep you from taking that extra step into a life-threatening fall, or in an accident situation will arrest the fall and save you from hitting the surface below. Pygmy Hogs are built to work as a single unit or in a kit of two. This OSHA and ANSI compliant, high-quality equipment is a must-have for your jobsite.
How to Inspect Your Self Retracting Lifeline Correctly
Inspecting your equipment is an essential action when ensuring safety. There’s no point in wearing a lifeline if it’s going to fail when you need it. Using old or inadequate safety materials can have a detrimental outcome if a fall occurs. It’s important to inspect your gear prior to each and every use; your life is literally on the line, so take the time to examine your equipment.
Here are some tips on how to successfully check over your self-retracting lifeline.
- Examine Metal Components
- The Fall Indicator: located at the connection point on your SRL. When the force indicator has been tripped, it indicates that fall-like impact forces have been applied on the self-retracting lifeline. If the fall indicator has been tripped, you will see a red indicator at the connection point and the device should be immediately removed from service.
- The Snap Hook: Ensure the mechanism opens and closes properly. Press on the gate to confirm it cannot be forced open. Please check to validate that the snap hook is not bent or deformed in any way.
- Inspect the Housing:
- Ensure all fasteners are present and tight.
- Inspect the label for serial number, batch number, manufacture date and part number.
- Inspect the Cable:
- If the cable gets tangled in the housing, it is no longer adequate for arresting a fall.
- Inspect the entire length of the cable for cuts, burns, frays, kinks, or tears.
- Perform a Strike Test:
- Grip the handle and quickly pull downward on the cable, place all the force above the fall indicator so you do not accidentally trigger it.
- This will test the braking mechanism of your SRL.
If you follow these tips and perform regular inspections, you will keep your SRL healthy for years of use. We also have handy downloadable safety inspection forms to help guide you through your SRL examination.
Malta Dynamics – Field Tested, Worker Approved
At Malta Dynamics, we have the unique advantage of having a crew who uses our safety equipment in the field that actively sends feedback to help us make our products as efficient and user-friendly as possible. We engineer, manufacture, and personally use all of our safety fall protection solutions. We are proud to offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, we want you to have confidence that your workers will be safe, comfortable, and compliant while using our safety products.
No matter what industry you work in, we have gear that has been proven to withstand harsh environments and outperform trade safety standards. With over thirty years of experience in the construction industry, we have become experts in safety so you can count on us to cater to all your safety needs.