Working at heights is a dangerous job to begin with and adding any extra weight to your load can be cumbersome and cause wasted energy. That’s why the Malta Dynamics the Pygmy Hog 6′ Self-Retracting Lifeline is designed to be the best mini retractable available on the market. Weighing in at just 2.4 lbs., the extremely lightweight Pygmy Hog is portable and can be used as one unit or in a kit of two.
The Pygmy Hog Self-Retracting Lifeline is a Webbed SRL that is manufactured from non-corrosive, lightweight components including a durable ultrahigh-molecular-weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) & Polyester lifeline, and a durable housing made from a high strength thermoplastic polymer.
The Pygmy Hog Self-Retracting Lifeline comes equipped with a handy 360° swivel top connector that allows the unit to turn freely as you move, which keeps the lifeline from snagging or getting tangled.
This compact and lightweight Pygmy Hog SRL features a high-visibility yellow webbed cable that features a black color along the edges. The use of the black and yellow contrast makes it easier to notice cuts and frays along the lifeline during inspections. This OSHA and ANSI compliant, high-quality self-retracting lifeline is a must-have for your jobsite.
How to Inspect Your Self-Retracting Lifeline Correctly
Inspecting your equipment is an essential pre-use action, there’s no point in wearing fall protection if it’s going to fail when you need it. Using old or non-compliant safety materials can have a detrimental outcome if a fall occurs. Taking a few to inspect your gear properly has the power to save your life.
Here are some tips on how to successfully check over your self-retracting lifeline.
- Examine Metal Components:
- The Fall Indicator: located at the connection point on your SRL. When the force indicator has been tripped, it indicates that fall-like impact forces have been applied on the self-retracting lifeline. If the fall indicator has been tripped, you will see a red indicator at the connection point and the device should be immediately removed from service.
- The Snap Hook: Ensure the mechanism opens and closes properly. Press on the gate to confirm it cannot be forced open. Please check to validate that the snap hook is not bent or deformed in any way.
- Inspect the Housing:
- Ensure all fasteners are present and tight.
- Inspect the label for serial number, batch number, manufacture date and part number.
- Inspect the Cable:
- If the cable gets tangled in the housing, it is no longer adequate for arresting a fall.
- Inspect the entire length of the cable for cuts, burns, frays, kinks, or tears.
- Perform a Strike Test:
- Grip the handle and quickly pull downward on the cable, place all the force above the fall indicator so you do not accidentally trigger it.
- This will test the braking mechanism of your SRL
If you follow these tips and perform regular inspections, you will keep your SRL healthy for years of use. We also have handy downloadable safety inspection forms to help guide you through your SRL examination.
Malta Dynamics – Field Tested, Worker Approved
At Malta Dynamics, we have the unique advantage of having a crew who uses our safety equipment in the field and actively sends feedback to help us make our products as efficient and user-friendly as possible. We engineer, manufacture, and personally use all of our safety fall protection solutions. We are proud to offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, we want you to have confidence that your workers will be safe, comfortable, and compliant while using our creations.
No matter what industry you work in, we have gear that has been proven to withstand harsh environments and outperform trade safety standards. With over thirty years of experience in the construction industry, we have become experts in safety so you can count on us to cater all your safety needs.
Have any general questions about our products? Interested in learning more about our Malta Dynamics Hybrid Hog SRL? Our team will assist you in finding the right safety solutions. Call 800-494-1840 for a representative or fill out our form.